RE: AIX Concurrent I/O for Oracle archive logs

  • From: "Allen, Brandon" <Brandon.Allen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "dbvision@xxxxxxxxxxxx" <dbvision@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, "oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <Oracle-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 26 May 2010 10:42:22 -0700

Hi Nuno,

This system is 9.2.0.8 on AIX 5.3 ML10 and all Oracle data and log files are
currently on a NAS (NFS instead of JFS2).  We have filesystemio_options=setall,
and have the data and log files on a file system mounted with the cio option,
but the arc logs on a separate file system that is not mounted with cio.  They
are planning to upgrade to 10g someday (their Baan application isn't yet
certified with 11g), but just haven't gotten around to it yet since everything
is running fine on 9i for now (until this recent issue with paging causing
performance problems during log backups).

Yes, we're using Async IO and we probably have too many aio servers (maxservers
= 400 * 8 processors = 3200 total aioservers).  The docs I've read say to set
maxservers to 80 at the most, e.g. :
http://public.dhe.ibm.com/partnerworld/pub/whitepaper/162b6.pdf

"limit the maximum number of servers to 10 times the number of disks that are
to be used concurrently, but no more than 80"

We only have 200 datafiles.  I've already asked the Unix admins to consider
lowering maxservers in order to free up any excessive resources they may be
consuming.

Thanks,
Brandon