Re: ADMIN: list changes

  • From: Jason Heinrich <jheinrich@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 06 Sep 2004 12:46:47 -0500

Let's not forget those of us who are on the digest (which explains why I'm
just now jumping into this conversation).  The digest "From" address is
"FreeLists Mailing List Manager <ecartis@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>", which means that
now I can't use Reply OR Reply All to respond to a post.  Instead, now I
have to create a new message.  It's not that big a deal, as it only takes a
few more seconds, but it is less convenient.

While this change will likely cut down on the number of private responses
accidentally posted to the list, I forsee just as many people accidentally
hitting Reply instead of Reply All to respond to the list, so that only the
original poster will receive their response.  This won't be quite as
embarrassing to the poster, but it will reduce the amount of potentially
helpful information being available to all list members.

Other members have made good arguments for retaining the Reply-To header the
way it was.  Reading through this thread, I get the impression that this
will cause more problems than it will fix.  Already it's turned the focus of
this list away from Oracle for the time being.

If it ain't broke...etc.