RE: A question about NLS Language settings

  • From: <Paula_Stankus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <Paula_Stankus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2005 08:47:58 -0400

We ran into a problem in one of our applications where the users would
cut text from a varchar2(2000) field, edit it in Word, then paste it.
The problem was that certain characters like double-quotes apparently
were "unknown" in the default characterset and where stored as upside
down question marks.  To get around this my colleague changed the
configuration in the application server files to:

AMERICAN_AMERICA.WE8ISO8859P1

Some questions, if this is a superset for the default then why isn't it
the default?
Are there any pitfalls to setting this in our .profile on our database
server as well as our application server so that when we export/import
(for example) we don't have problems?
What about backups and restores - will this be an issue and should we
set this for backups and restores.

I can test the 3rd issue fairly easily but I would like to know if
anyone has had experience with this issue and how they dealt with it.

Thanks,
Paula