RE: A VLDB contest

  • From: Tanel Poder <tanel.poder.003@xxxxxxx>
  • To: kevinc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, "'ORACLE-L'" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2006 00:26:55 +0800

> well, the math is right at 7.59, but I can't imagine the
> structure of the array is that simple. More likely that the
> entire disk group extent map is not currently mapped. But I

Yep, the ASM metadata is fetched to database instance on need basis. Bounce
your instance, scan first row of a big table and see the number of rows in
X$KXFFP (and sizes in v$sgastat). Then do a full table scan on the whole
table and see the numbers grow...

If you enable 10046 trace while doing the scan, you should see your server
process occasionally waiting on SQL*Net message to/from client events
against the ASM instance, while it's scanning through the table. These are
the ASM metadata fetches.

Tanel.