Re: A GUI Interface to the database?

  • From: Guillermo Alan Bort <cicciuxdba@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Richard.Goulet@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 2 Dec 2010 13:58:59 -0300

Hyperion is very good, however it has the downside of Essbase... as
databases go it's far from my favorite... granted, I'm strictly an RDBMS
guy, so multidimensional databases are strange to me, but Essbase's
recoverability is dodgy at best, backups require downtine... it's not fun.
On the other hand, you can always rebuild an essbase database from a DWH,
so... that's that problem solved :-P

Personally, for graphical interface with the database, and reporting wizards
and that stuff, I use APEX... it took me a while to learn its tricks (OBE
and Oracle Forums were a big help there) but in the end, it's versatile and
you don't need a lot of skill to get a simple report up and running and have
users modify it to their will.

So, it would take some custom development, but you could have a really cheap
tool if you go with Apex... whereas Hyperion has... well.. Oracle
Licensing...

Alsto, it's been a while since I used Oracle Apps, but perhaps Discoverer,
Siebel or EBS could also work. It depends on what you need.

Cheers.
Alan.-