Re: 9i listener for 8i DB not recommended???

  • From: Paul Drake <discgolfdba@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2004 13:53:02 -0800 (PST)

please forgive me for top-posting, but that seems to
be the norm on this thread.

When Oracle issued a security alert for the TNS
Listener that was fixed at the time in 9.2, but not
fixed in 8.1.7.4.x, we established a best practice of
installing a 9.2 home and using its listener.

I have seen no issues with this practice.

We had been using the 9.2 client on desktops anyways,
as the 9.2 OUI handled P IV issues and was certified
for Win XP.

As far as note 77442.1
I can confirm that a sqlnet 2.3.2 client does not work
well against UTF8 database character sets.
(as far as why I would know this, I am embarrased to
say, but it matters for our environment).

"Please do NOT define ORA_NLSxx as (system) ENVIROMENT
variable on windows."

"Please do NOT define ORACLE_HOME and/or ORACLE_BASE
as (system) ENVIROMENT variable on windows as this
will invalidate the working of ORA_NLSxx."

Jared,

Did you set environment variable values for
ORACLE_HOME or ORACLE_BASE?

Paul