Re: 9i Hardware Spec

  • From: Paul Drake <discgolfdba@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2004 11:09:48 -0700 (PDT)

--- Stephen Andert <StephenAndert@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
> Fahd,
>
>  I do not use the
> ability to extend linux, but I still use that for my
> primary OS at home.
>
> Good luck
> Stephen

06/21/0403:52AM >>>
> The reason to use WIN2K is that we have trust in
> windows2k (odd?) because we
> have been using it for 5 years now, it hasnt given
> us any significant problems. We are really skeptic
> about Linux (open source) we dont have
> resources and need to read,alter and extend its open
> source code) and Solaris promises no future.
> What else is available except (MS)windows.
> regards,
> Fahd

Fahd,

If you in fact are modifying the supported (Linux)
kernels, you will find that you no longer have support
from Oracle.

The source is for you or others to use on your
non-oracle boxes. Its for Red Hat, SuSE or Oracle to
provide you with supported patches.

For boxes that support databases that you would like
to receive support from oracle from, the pre-compiled,
non-modified kernels are the way to go.

check out the OCM exam, and see which OS that is being
run on. (its the 2 certified Linux distros).

Paul