RE: 9.2.0.6 for win32

  • From: Branimir Petrovic <BranimirP@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 9 Nov 2004 09:48:28 -0500

> The number of responses I have gotten on this on and off-line
> indicates =
> it happens a lot. Niall, maybe this would be a good subject for a =
> thorough thrashing on paper.  How to identify and fix?

Best advice I can think of (apart from not using Windows;) would be to
stop all Oracle related services on Windows "box", set them to manual
startup then re-boot to be 100% sure of shaking off any lingering file
locks (uptime is NOT a "sacred cow" in Windows world, especially not
on a dedicated Oracle server that have to "go down" anyway in order to
be patched).

Other patch-related-behavior I stick to - just after flipping back
related database service(s) from manual to automatic startup I'd go
into registry HKLM\SOFTWARE\ORACLE\HOME<N> to temporary change value
of (any) key(s) like ORA_<SID>_AUTOSTART from TRUE to FALSE. Doing
so will ensure that after reboot and intentional or accidental start
up of Oracle database service(s) will NOT automatically mount related
database(s) but will give "something-little" (the service) to SQL*Plus
to connect to making it safe 'n easy for "startup migrate" that follows
(call it a superstition - but I am somehow reluctant to allow freshly
patched Oracle binaries to mount and/or try to open the database that
did not yet went through the catpatch routine).

Branimir