RE: 8i-10g upgrade

As both a political move and on the off-chance that there actually is a
solution out there, I would bring this to the attention of SAP support.

It might not hurt to document your issue with Oracle as well.  This will
provide documentation to the customer that you are:

A)      Actively working the issue.

B)      Gaining the attention of SAP and Oracle support.

C)      Looking for consensus on a solution.

I would suspect you're on the right track.  Assuming Oracle and SAP agree,
this would go a long way towards getting whatever resources you need to
test and implement, including downtime.

It would also backup the fact that if you do nothing, you might eventually
have to suffer debilitating performance issues and perhaps an extended
unplanned outage.  There is a physical limit to how many extents can be
tracked on a dictionary managed tablespace.  I would look into this as
well.

  _____