RE: 64 node Oracle RAC Cluster (The reality of...)

  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2005 10:32:06 +0200

Hi Kevin,
and thank you for keeping the discussion public.
It is really interesting.

I can only contribute with a not-too-technical real life experience on
ASM.
I have two in production, used for single instance databases, with
external redundancy (why to implement a software raid if I have a good
hw controller?).

So far I haven't got any issue and the performance is good. I consider
it a possible alternative to raw devices on LVM.

Still I'm unsure if ASM is a mature solution especially for high load,
given the published bugs on metalink. I'm still obesrving its behaviour.

Just another consideration: am I the only one who believes we will see a
sort of oracle-os-kernel "in order to minimize the overhead of having an
operating system installed on the machine"?

Fabrizio