Re: 64 node Oracle RAC Cluster (The reality of...)

  • From: Mladen Gogala <gogala@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Pete Sharman <peter.sharman@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2005 03:52:48 +0000

On 06/21/2005 09:48:53 PM, Pete Sharman wrote:
> Are you specifically talking about OCFS or the CFS that is provided by the
> OS?  You know a lot more
> about the OS level stuff than I do (not that it would be hard to do that!)
> I'm not sure if these are
> generic OS concerns you have or ones specifically aimed at OCFS (which is
> another thing I don't know
> much about!)

Actually, I was talking about GFS, by Red Hat. For OCFS, I read not to use it
for ORACLE_HOME,
but when I tried with GFS, it was extremely slow. I was impressed with the GFS
until I tried using
it for ORACLE_HOME. Speaking of the operating systems, do you know whether RAC
is supported on
Solaris/x86? I must say that Solaris is much, much, much more mature OS then
Linux. My company
has a bunch of Dell boxes running RH EL 3.0 and I am not at all satisfied with
the performance and
reliability. It seems that popularity of an OS grows proportionally with its
crappiness.

--
Mladen Gogala
Oracle DBA