Re: 32bit vs 64 bit Linux for Oracle (was: Hardware recommendations for RedHat X86-64/10gR2)

  • From: amar kumar padhi <amar.padhi@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2007 20:03:44 +0400

We have run Oracle database in 64-bit mode on all our Unix platforms. With linux we opted for 32-bit few years back. I believe this was so because the fixes were available much faster in 32-bit than in 64-bit, so the support was better off dealing with 32-bit then.

Now we are geared to move to 64-bit hardware and OS. We want to avail all advantages that may not be possible in 32-bit.

Thanks!
amar

Ray Feighery wrote:
Following on from this discussion, what is the take up on Linux 64 bit
vs 32 bit for Oracle? The main reason for going with 64 bit seems to
be for a large SGA, particularly the non buffer cache sections.
Although large is relative; a 2Gb SGA is not considered large any
more.

The reasons for staying with 32 bit seems to be perceived driver
immaturity with the 64 bit versions leading to some reports of slower
disk i/o.

I believe the latest versions of the proprietary *nixes (e.g. Solaris,
HP) are now 64 bit.

Basically, if you are building a Linux server to run Oracle would you
go with 64 or 32 bit and why?

Ray