From what I've read about transportable tablespaces, they won't work for us. The decision to go to the 64-bit was made before I started working here. In theory, it will take care of the memory addressability issues.
I've got the 32-bit 9205 working on the new node. So the new plan is:
1. Install 32-bit 9208 on the new node. 2. Upgrade the 32-bit 9205 to 32-bit 9208. 3. Install 64-bit 9208 on the new node. 4. Convert the 32-bit 9208 to 64-bit 9208. 5. After considerable testing to work out procedures and "gotchas", upgrade to 10gR2.
Oracle support says this should work as long as I follow all the steps in doc id: 62290.1.
Thanks to everyone for their suggestions.