Re: 32K block size tablespace for indexes

  • From: Andy Rivenes <rivenes1@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: hrishys@xxxxxxxxxxx,oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2009 16:06:29 -0800

Another reason is that a single index entry must fit within a single block. The 11g documentation states:

"The maximum size of a single index entry is approximately one-half the data block size."

I didn't think that it was that low, but it's been a while since I've run into this issue.

At 11:03 PM 1/28/2009, hrishy wrote:

I have inherited a database where the indexes alone are in the 32k block tablespaces.

Now without any documentation or anything for a hint i am just wundering why did the original designers design it like that?

What are the pro's and cons of such a approach ?

http:// www.