Re: 3 or 4 nodes in a RAC?

  • From: "Jonathan Lewis" <jonathan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "oracle-l-freelists" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 9 Jun 2011 16:18:11 +0100

As far as n-way communications are concerned it doesn't get worse than 3.
Node A (who wants a particular resource) asks Node B (who is the master for the resource) to tell Node C (who is currently exclusive owner of the resource) to pass it to Node A

It doesn't matter how many nodes there are, the loop is always a triangle.

On the other hand, the fewer nodes you have the more likely you are to be the
master of a particular resource (no N-way negotiation), and the more likely that the master also happens to be the owner if you aren't the master (better
chance of 2-way rather than 3 way).

Regards

Jonathan Lewis
http://jonathanlewis.wordpress.com