From: Bradd Piontek [mailto:piontekdd@xxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Thursday, August 07, 2008 3:02 PM
To: Matthew Zito
Cc: mccdba1@xxxxxxxxx; oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx; hkchital@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: 12G Desupport for Raw Devices

I would think storing the OCR and voting disks in ASM would be an issue,
as ASM is just another cluster resource and is generally brought up by
ASM. My guess is they'll be pushing the use of OCFS/OCFS2 a bit more.

Bradd Piontek
Oracle Blog: http://piontekdd.blogspot.com
Linked In: http://www.linkedin.com/in/piontekdd

On Thu, Aug 7, 2008 at 1:56 PM, Matthew Zito <mzito@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

We were discussing this over here, and the big question we came up with
is:

"Does this mean that simply raw devices a la old school Red Hat
(/dev/raw/raw1) are desupported, or that all character/non-buffered IO
devices are desupported (a la /dev/rdsk/c0t0d0s2 or /dev/sda2 with
O_DIRECT)?"

If the former, it's a non-issue for most environments, if it's the
latter, it opens up a host of questions around what will be supported.
Effectively, it requires that people have a clustered filesystem to use,
or somehow Oracle jobbies up ASM such that you can put OCR and voting
internally and making ASM a dependency for CRS to run.

Matt

________________________________

From: Hemant K Chitale <hkchital@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: 12G Desupport for Raw Devices
To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Thursday, August 7, 2008, 11:02 AM

For those using Raw Devices (wether for Redo Logs in non-RAC or for

Database Files as well in RAC),

see MetaLink Note#578455.1   "Announcement of De-Support of RAW

devices in Release 12G "

Hemant K Chitale

http://hemantoracledba.blogspot.com

"A 'No' uttered from the deepest conviction is better than a

'Yes'

merely uttered to please, or worse, to avoid trouble."

Mohandas Gandhi
 Quotes

:  http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/m/mohandas_gandhi.html