RE: 12G Desupport for Raw Devices

  • From: "Matthew Zito" <mzito@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <mccdba1@xxxxxxxxx>, <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <hkchital@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 7 Aug 2008 14:56:05 -0400

We were discussing this over here, and the big question we came up with
is:

"Does this mean that simply raw devices a la old school Red Hat
(/dev/raw/raw1) are desupported, or that all character/non-buffered IO
devices are desupported (a la /dev/rdsk/c0t0d0s2 or /dev/sda2 with
O_DIRECT)?"

If the former, it's a non-issue for most environments, if it's the
latter, it opens up a host of questions around what will be supported.
Effectively, it requires that people have a clustered filesystem to use,
or somehow Oracle jobbies up ASM such that you can put OCR and voting
internally and making ASM a dependency for CRS to run.

Matt

________________________________

From: Hemant K Chitale <hkchital@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: 12G Desupport for Raw Devices
To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Thursday, August 7, 2008, 11:02 AM

For those using Raw Devices (wether for Redo Logs in non-RAC or for

Database Files as well in RAC),

see MetaLink Note#578455.1   "Announcement of De-Support of RAW

devices in Release 12G "

Hemant K Chitale

http://hemantoracledba.blogspot.com

"A 'No' uttered from the deepest conviction is better than a

'Yes'

merely uttered to please, or worse, to avoid trouble."

Mohandas Gandhi
 Quotes

:  http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/m/mohandas_gandhi.html