RE: 12G Desupport for Raw Devices

  • From: Hemant K Chitale <hkchital@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Mark.Bobak@xxxxxxxxxxxx, "greg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <greg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 09 Aug 2008 14:20:24 +0800

I have only just begun "playing" with ASM now ! I have had no issues with both filesystems and raw on a large number of platforms. Most responses/references seem to from a Linux perspective (and OCFS was [is still ?] available only on Linux, with ASM uptake also beginning on Linux) -- eg that RedHat and flavours will be "desupporting" Raw.

The fact could well be that there are "no Linux, no OCFS, no ASM" datacentres still operating happily running Oracle databases.

Hemant

At 11:49 PM Friday, Bobak, Mark wrote:
We were historically a shop that used raw, almost everywhere, going back to at least 7.0 days. We have begun moving towards ASM, as we move to 10g/11g, but we still have much raw, mostly on 9iR2 databases, and even a couple of 8.1.7 stragglers.....

-Mark

--
Mark J. Bobak
Senior Database Administrator, System & Product Technologies