Re: 11gr2 s/w install

  • From: Jeremy Schneider <jeremy.schneider@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: nagaraj.chk@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 03 Aug 2012 07:27:08 -0500

Nagaraj - to clarify a little:

RAC these days consists of two installations.
1) "Grid" software which includes both clusterware and ASM
2) "Database" software in a separate directory

You can only have one active grid installation on a server.  You could
install it to a different directory than the old clusterware, but you
cannot have both running together - you'd have to shutdown the old
before starting (or even installing) the new.  There's no automatic
method for "failback" (re-activating) the old grid home, but with some
caveats and work this might be possible (until you update ASM on-disk
data structures).

You can have as many active "database" software directories as you
want.  You can have 11.1 running alongside 11.2 running alongside 10.2.
The clusterware and asm layers are fully backwards-compatible, meaning
that all of these different versions of the database software running at
the same time on the same server will use the single 11.2 clusterware
and ASM software.

Hope you're able to do the upgrade - it's a great learning exercise!

-Jeremy

--
Jeremy Schneider
Chicago