Re: 11g AWR report

  • From: John Kanagaraj <john.kanagaraj@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Ajeet.Ojha@xxxxxx, oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Ajeet O <ajeet.o@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2010 14:32:43 -0800

Hi Ajeet,

>> CPU information – that includes core cpu, number of cpu, number of
>> sockets. I am wondering what could be the purpose of giving the number
>> of sockets data in AWR.

As usual, Stephane is "spot on" :)  Additional CPU count related
information is present as new line items in V$OSSTAT in 11gR2.
(NUM_CPUs - present already in 10g, NUM_CPU_CORES and NUM_CPU_SOCKETS
as well as NUM_VCPUS and NUM_LCPUS depending on your platform). AWR
just reports this out....

HOWEVER, keep in mind that V$LICENSE now tracks the Current *and* High
Water marks for CPUs, CPU Cores and Sockets, so Oracle has some
evidence of usage (albeit even if you just used it once) that you used
x- number of CPUs, cores, etc. Attempts to "reduce" your CPU count to
lower your license cost will need to cater to this record of highwater
mark :)

On the technical side, starting in 11gR2, Oracle makes Instance caging
available. Maybe this line item also has something to do with this
feature? I say this because you can now set the CPU_COUNT parameter to
"cage" the instance to a set number of CPUs in a shared environment.

--
John Kanagaraj <><
http://www.linkedin.com/in/johnkanagaraj