RE: 11g 64 bit and Red Hat 4

  • From: "Matthew Zito" <mzito@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <stellr@xxxxxxxxxx>, "Greg Rahn" <greg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 7 Aug 2009 11:50:23 -0400

I suspect he meant OEL5U3, which is analogous to Red Hat Enterprise
Linux 5.3, the latest shipping version.

And if you have a big Red Hat Linux install base, there's no advantage
to adding OEL to the mix, especially if you have some good negotiated
corporate rate for RHEL.

Most of the folks I see moving to OEL are either:
- shops that are new to Linux, and starting with Oracle on Linux
- shops where the database organization has to "pay" internally for
every RHEL license, and go to OEL instead for a cheaper solution.

But there's not any advantages fundamentally if it's a zero-cost
decision between the two.

Matt