From: oracle-l-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:oracle-l-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On
Behalf Of japplewhite@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: 28 January 2009 15:56
To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: 10gR2 RMan Transport Tablespace

Environment: 10.2.0.4 Enterprise DBs on RHEL 4.0 servers

We use a 3rd party Student Information System (SIS) that (mis)uses an Oracle
database to store over 176,000 tables and 275,000 indexes.  Yes, it's a
horrible design, but we've been stuck with it for years and have figured out
how to manage nicely in spite of it.

We refresh our Dev and Test databases weekly with the whole set of tables and
indexes so our Developers have fresh meat to gnaw.  For years we've done this
via Export / Drop / Import - multiple jobs in parallel - because Prod and Dev /
Test were on different OS's.  Now we've finally got them all on the same OS and
at the same 10gR2 level - was 9iR2 up through December.

Exp / Drop / Imp works OK, but takes all day Sunday.  We've been anticipating
that Transportable Tablespaces would be the ticket for us, since the SIS stores
all tables and indexes in a single tablespace.  Plus, the SIS uses nothing but
the plainest of vanilla datatypes and no fancy database features that would
preclude us from using TT.  I've perused the RMan docs on Transport Tablespace
and it looks like we could do it.

I do wonder if there are pitfalls for us, having over 450,000 segments in that
single 88GB tablespace (11 x 8GB datafiles).  Anyone have any positive or
negative experience with something like this?

BTW, I've also considered using Data Pump Import on the target DBs over DB
Links back to Prod, but feel that would use such a huge amount of LAN / WAN
bandwidth - especially since it'd have to be done for both Dev and Test - that
impdp is not feasible for us.  Any comments about that approach?

Thanks.

Jack C. Applewhite - Database Administrator
Austin I.S.D. - MIS Department
512.414.9715 (wk)  /  512.935.5929 (pager)

Wm Morrison Supermarkets Plc is registered in England with number 358949. The
registered office of the company is situated at Gain Lane, Bradford, West
Yorkshire BD3 7DL. This email and any attachments are intended for the
addressee(s) only and may be confidential.

If you are not the intended recipient, please inform the sender by replying to
the email that you have received in error and then destroy the email.
If you are not the intended recipient, you must not use, disclose, copy or rely
on the email or its attachments in any way.

Wm Morrison Supermarkets PLC accepts no liability or responsibility for
anything said in the email or its attachments and gives no warranty as to
accuracy. It is the policy of Wm Morrison Supermarkets PLC not to enter into
any contractual or other obligations by email.

Although we have taken steps to ensure the email and its attachments are
virus-free, we cannot guarantee this or accept any responsibility,
and it is the responsibility of recipients to carry out their own virus checks.