10gR2 RMan Transport Tablespace

  • From: japplewhite@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2009 09:55:50 -0600

Environment: 10.2.0.4 Enterprise DBs on RHEL 4.0 servers

We use a 3rd party Student Information System (SIS) that (mis)uses an
Oracle database to store over 176,000 tables and 275,000 indexes.  Yes,
it's a horrible design, but we've been stuck with it for years and have
figured out how to manage nicely in spite of it.

We refresh our Dev and Test databases weekly with the whole set of tables
and indexes so our Developers have fresh meat to gnaw.  For years we've
done this via Export / Drop / Import - multiple jobs in parallel - because
Prod and Dev / Test were on different OS's.  Now we've finally got them
all on the same OS and at the same 10gR2 level - was 9iR2 up through
December.

Exp / Drop / Imp works OK, but takes all day Sunday.  We've been
anticipating that Transportable Tablespaces would be the ticket for us,
since the SIS stores all tables and indexes in a single tablespace.  Plus,
the SIS uses nothing but the plainest of vanilla datatypes and no fancy
database features that would preclude us from using TT.  I've perused the
RMan docs on Transport Tablespace and it looks like we could do it.

I do wonder if there are pitfalls for us, having over 450,000 segments in
that single 88GB tablespace (11 x 8GB datafiles).  Anyone have any
positive or negative experience with something like this?

BTW, I've also considered using Data Pump Import on the target DBs over DB
Links back to Prod, but feel that would use such a huge amount of LAN /
WAN bandwidth - especially since it'd have to be done for both Dev and
Test - that impdp is not feasible for us.  Any comments about that
approach?

Thanks.

Jack C. Applewhite - Database Administrator
Austin I.S.D. - MIS Department
512.414.9715 (wk)  /  512.935.5929 (pager)