RE: 10gR2 Performance sux!

  • From: "David Kurtz" <info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <AGUERRA@xxxxxxxxx>, "'oracle-l'" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2007 18:05:31 +0100

1. Have you collected System Statistics?

2. Have you removed any initialisation parameters set for Oracle 9i?

Read the "Required Operating System, RDBMS & Third Party Product Patches
Required for Installation" on Customer Connection:
http://www4.peoplesoft.com/psdb.nsf/8a8a06594f72ee9888256bae00726172/5edaf66
b6d4730da88256bab006e68b2?OpenDocument (you will need a customer connection
login)
In short it says
* You must set _optimizer_cost_based_transformation=off (although this
supposed to be fixed on some 10.2 versions)
* For unicode databases set NLS_LENGTH_SEMANTICS=CHAR
* If you rely on DISTINCT and GROUP BY to force the order of a query (which
you shouldn't) then you should set _gby_hash_aggregation_enabled=false

And also the Platform Certification FAQ.
http://www4.peoplesoft.com/psdb.nsf/8a8a06594f72ee9888256bae00726172/d713e74
ef633ca5a88256bab006ef215?OpenDocument&ExpandSection=2.2.9#_Section2.2.9

3. PeopleSoft makes extensive use of correlated sub-queries, mostly in
effective dated logic.  Although there is not as much of this in Financials
as HR.  Consider setting _UNNEST_SUBQUERY = FALSE.  This was recommended by
PeopleSoft for Oracle 9i to fix Bug# 2948326.  The recommendation is not
made for 10g.  However, I have no doubt it is beneficial for HR and CRM.  I
haven't tried it for Financials, but I would expect it to help.

* I don't think I would recommend using FIRST_ROWS for any database, and
probably not FIRST_ROWS_n either for a Financials database.

regards
David Kurtz
Go-Faster Consultancy Ltd.
tel: +44 (0)7771 760660