From: oracle-l-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
JApplewhite@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Friday, March 23, 2007 9:47 AM
To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: 10g upgrade survey

Yes, "Divide and Conquer" when doing Exports/Imports is a very good
strategy.  Our Student Information System has over 127,000 tables (yes,
that's One Hundred Twenty-Seven Thousand), representing seven
SchoolYears' of data.  We use SQL statements to dynamically create an
Export *.par file for each SchoolYear and export them in parallel.  It's
only about 30G of data, but parallelizing the process has greatly
speeded up the refresh of our Dev and other databases with selected
SchoolYears'.

As Andrew points out, having LOBs or not impacts the Export times.  I
would add that the degree of constraints and/or indexing greatly impacts
the Import times.

BTW, we've found that the Tables= list in the Export *.par fiile can be
somewhere just short of 32,000 before Export barfs.

Our environment is predominantly Oracle9i on Linux and HPUX.

Jack C. Applewhite - Database Administrator
Austin (Texas) Independent School District
512.414.9715 (wk)  /  512.935.5929 (pager)

Same-Day Stump Grinding!  Senior Discounts!
        -- Mike's Tree Service

"Kerber, Andrew W." <Andrew.Kerber@xxxxxxx>
Sent by: oracle-l-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

03/23/2007 08:05 AM

Please respond to
Andrew.Kerber@xxxxxxx

ujang.jaenudin@xxxxxxxxx, oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

cc

Subject

RE: 10g upgrade survey

Single table or multiple tables?  When we had to do 300G or so, we
exported groups of tables at a time using 4 separate streams, and did
the same on import.  Took about 8 hours total for the whole thing.  Of
course, we didn't have many clobs, they can make things take a lot
longer.