RE: 10g on Linux

  • From: JApplewhite@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2004 10:14:47 -0500

First Patchset Bigots?  How about Terminal Patchset Bigots, like me? We've
been moving our databases from 8i to 9i since 9.2.0.4 came out.  No rush,
since our COTS Student Information and Financials apps could just as
easily use Oracle7 for all their sophistication.

I prefer stability to "cool new features".

Jack C. Applewhite - Database Administrator
Austin (Texas) Independent School District
512.414.9715 (wk)
512.935.5929 (pager)

IMHO most cell phone users should be flogged. Should you?
      http://etiquette.sprint.com/sprint/survey_start.asp

   May have come a long way, but we got a long way to go.
                                    -- B.W. Stevenson
Notice:
If you use this email nefariously, you are scum - probably criminal scum.
Beware.

Pete Sharman <peter.sharman@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: oracle-l-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
08/11/2004 10:43 AM
Please respond to oracle-l

        To:     oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
        cc:     Peter Ross Sharman <PETER.SHARMAN@xxxxxxxxxx>
        Subject:        RE: 10g on Linux

Well, hell it wasn't me.  :)

I gotta wonder what the reasoning is here.  Most of the customers I deal
wi=
th have one reason for moving to 9i instead of 10g - ISV support.  If
you'r=
e using an application which is either custom built or written by an ISV
wi=
th 10g support, why would you bother upgrading to 9i and then upgrading
aga=
in to 10g?  That seems pretty damn stupid to me, particularly now the
10.1.=
0.3 patch is out (to satisfy those "I won't upgrade till the first patch
re=
lease" bigots ;).

 =

Pete