10g on Linux

  • From: "Ken Payton" <Ken.Payton@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2004 18:00:38 -0400

I need to install Oracle on the below configuration. We have 20GB of =
memory and are running the hugemem kernel.  I would like to take =
advantage of this as much as possible.  We have already installed 10g =
and got it working with the huge memory footprint based on Oracle docs =
with little issue.  No patching was required, although patches are =
necessary for 9i.  =20

It is my recommendation to run 10g but would appreciate feedback in =
regard to 10g vs 9i given this configuration.  I have recommendation =
against 10g in the past(on solaris), although I believe there is a =
better case given this configuration.  I believe 10g will be more =
reliable based on the dedication Oracle has had to the Linux platform =
over the past two years, primarily while 10g has been developed.  It is =
my understanding that Oracle is building on Linux first and then porting =
to other OS's.  Are there any thoughts out there about this?  If anyone =
has any experiences they would like to share it would be much =
appreciated.  I am interested in both sides of the story, although =
success stories would make me much happier.

Overview
- single instance (Non-RAC)
- SAN attached SUN 3510 Disks
- 2-4 TB database
- HP DL740
- 8 X 2.8 GHz Zion CPU's
- 20GB RAM
- Redhat AS 3.0 hugemem kernel
Required feature set
- heap/IOT tables
- B-tree indexes
- partitioning
- transportable tablespaces
- Huge Memory support (10+GB Buffer Cache)