RE: 10g listener strangeness

  • From: DEEDSD@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2004 14:12:15 -0400

Yes, I have tested that, and it works just fine.  It looks like if you have
a 3rd party application that requires a certain release listener, different
listeners will be necessary.   This took me by surprise a bit as previous
versions of Oracle have not behaved this way.

It appears that the 10g client may have problems with older versions of
Oracle Names.  We have 7.3 Oracle Names servers (names database is 8.1.7.4)
and the 10g client can't tnsping, SQL*Plus, etc using the old version of
Names.  We haven't upgraded the names servers because the management
interface has been terrible every relase after 7.3....

                          "Bobak, Mark"

                          <Mark.Bobak@xxxxxxxxxxx  T

                          .com>                    To:
<oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
                                                   cc:

                          Sent by:

                          oracle-l-bounce@freelis  bcc:

                          ts.org                   Subject:
                     RE: 10g
                                                   listener strangeness

                          07/26/2004 01:54 PM

                          Please respond to

                          oracle-l

Hmm....then I'd hope, at a minimum, the 10g listener can communicate w/
pre-10g databases?

Mark J. Bobak
Oracle DBA
ProQuest Company