RE: 10g grid

  • From: "Baumgartel, Paul" <paul.baumgartel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 1 Mar 2006 15:25:05 -0000

>My point is, how do you setup a Grid with Oracle RDBMS?

>RAC is not GRID and GRID is not RAC that is true.
>GRID is a concept, not invented by Oracle. So obviously RAC is not a GRID or
>viceversa.

>However if we wanna deploy a GRID environment using Oracle RDBMS we need RAC.

I don't think this is true.  Kyte said

------------
Ok, here is one example:

two computers.
running application server.

No database, no rac, yet - part of grid.

two computers.
one in the US.
one in the UK.
using streams...

two separate databases, no rac, yet - part of grid.
--------------

>In Oracle terms RAC is a Grid Technology.

That's true--but it's not required in a Grid configuration (sufficient, but not
necessary).

Paul Baumgartel
paul.baumgartel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
212.538.1143

My point is, how do you setup a Grid with Oracle RDBMS?

RAC is not GRID and GRID is not RAC that is true.
GRID is a concept, not invented by Oracle. So obviously RAC is not a GRID or
viceversa. However if we wanna deploy a GRID environment using Oracle RDBMS we
need RAC. In Oracle terms RAC is a Grid Technology.

On 3/1/06, Baumgartel, Paul < paul.baumgartel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
<mailto:paul.baumgartel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> > wrote:

Read http://tkyte.blogspot.com/2006/02/so-what-was-answer-part-iii.html
<http://tkyte.blogspot.com/2006/02/so-what-was-answer-part-iii.html>