Re: 10g database installation scripts - unix

  • From: "Norman Dunbar" <norman.dunbar@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <ganstadba@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2006 09:13:25 +0100

Morning Mike,

Norman Dunbar.
Contract Oracle DBA.
Rivers House, Leeds.

Internal : 7 28 2051
External : 0113 231 2051

>>> "Michael McMullen" <ganstadba@xxxxxxxxxxx> 03/24/06 08:00pm >>>
>>I'm trying to get the dbca to generate the database scripts but my
xwindows
>>keeps bonking out at the script confirmation location screen. Could
someone
>>please send me their scripts for the database that dbca generated.
>>I find this is the nicest way to get to know a new software release.

Are you, by any chance, running DBCA on AIX?
If so, I seem to remember a bug in dbca on AIX which prevents a
database script from being saved. I'm pretty sure there's something in
Metalink about it and the problem is caused by those fancy 'environment
variables' that are being used in dbca to determine file locations etc.
Stuff like '{ORACLE_HOME}' and so on.

I think that if you change those to proper env vars like '$ORACLE_HOME'
and so on, or full paths, then the problem goes away and you can save
your scripts.

I suffered from this in a previous contract where the Unix was AIX.

Cheers,
Norman.

Information in this message may be confidential and may be legally privileged.
If you have received this message by mistake, please notify the sender
immediately, delete it and do not copy it to anyone else.

We have checked this email and its attachments for viruses. But you should
still check any attachment before opening it.

We may have to make this message and any reply to it public if asked to under
the Freedom of Information Act, Data Protection Act or for litigation.  Email
messages and attachments sent to or from any Environment Agency address may
also be accessed by someone other than the sender or recipient, for business
purposes.

If we have sent you information and you wish to use it please read our terms
and conditions which you can get by calling us on 08708 506 506.  Find out more
about the Environment Agency at www.environment-agency.gov.uk