Re: 10g RAC and defined services performance problem

  • From: Yong Huang <yong321@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2008 10:42:18 -0700 (PDT)

> Has anybody run into specific problems with
> performance when using a lot of services

Jon,

I didn't measure. But I suppose if you have too many services, Oracle has to
work harder to maintain all the service related performance views v$service% or
the underlined tables, and service$. It reminds me of the old advice to not
create too many tablespaces. But since all tablespaces are LMT now, the
overhead is much smaller. (There's one thing common between ts$ and service$:
"deleted" tablespaces/services stay in the table, although they can be reused
if the same named tablespace/service is recreated.) Another concern is the
limit of services, 100 as of 10.2.0.1 according to Jeremy Schneider's paper.

We have more than 10 services in our database. We created a generic one that
handles all small applications and dedicated ones each for each of the bigger
apps.

Yong Huang