RE: 10Gb experience

  • From: chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: Paula_Stankus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2004 08:57:45 +0100

Paula,

You could also try "Core Python Programming - Chun" which I've found very
helpful.
Regards Oracle and Python I use an open source DB driver called cx_Oracle. I've
found it very good and the developer is very responsive to feedback, requests
etc.

Mladen is right that there are more people using Perl with Oracle than Python
with Oracle. Consequently there are more books etc. re Perl/Oracle (e.g.
Jared's great book which I have) than Python/Oracle (I'm not aware of any books
on Python and Oracle combined).

However I've chosen to use Python over Perl for a medium-sized Oracle project
because I felt that for what I was doing Python was the better choice despite
my comments above.

If you are making a choice between Perl and Python there a plenty of short
papers / discussions to be found on the various merits, strengths / weaknesses
of Perl compared to Python. Google "Python vs Perl" and alike should give you
plenty of food for thought. There are some situations when Perl is the right
choice and some when Python is. The choice is yours.

All I can say is do a bit of research first before you decide.

HTH

Chris

PS These are my thoughts/feelings etc. and I'm not after war.

Quoting Paula_Stankus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx:

> Absent any python developers - I am going to try that mailing list. =20
>
> Thanks,
> Paula
>

> //www.freelists.org/webpage/oracle-l

Chris Dunscombe