RE: 10G New Features Book

  • From: Ron Thomas <rthomas@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2004 16:09:05 -0700

Jared-

All I can say is thanks.  It is because of you and Mladen that I can go home
with a smile in this
otherwise stressful and thankless job.

Ron Thomas
Hypercom, Inc
rthomas@xxxxxxxxxxxx
"To really screw up Linux you have to work at it...To really screw up Windows,
you have to work ON
it..."

             Jared.Still@xxxxxxxxxxx

             Sent by:

             oracle-l-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
             rg                                  oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

                 cc

             04/27/2004 03:58 PM
            Subject
                                                 RE: 10G New Features Book

                  Please respond to

               oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

> What I've learned, is that sooner or later, when the
> asker has not been answered, the asker will RTFM
> anyway.  And, they will have done so without having
> been explicitly told to do so.
With all due respect Melanie, that isn't what usually happens.

When a post goes unanswered, this is what happens.

* message is re-posted
* that goes unanswered
* poster then asks the list:
  "Hey, why hasn't anyone answered this?"
* poster asks me:
  "Hey, why hasn't anyone answered this?"
* I reply:
*    * maybe no one knows the answer
*    * maybe it's so dead easy no body bothers
* Mladen G. says to RTFM, along with a technical
  explanation  down to the bit level.
* Ian M. takes it further, down to the quantam level.
* Jonathan L. posts a concise, insightful and clear reply
* poster asks for clarification
* Tim G. writes the first chapter of a book on the subject
  and posts it to the list.
* Juan P. points the poster to asktom
* Paul D. explains why the RAID is misconfigured
* Poster asks Tim for all the implementation code
  for the first chapter of the book.
* Kathy D. implies the poster has no social life and
  has much imbibing to catch up on.
* Tim G. writes the second chapter to the book and posts it.
* Poster tries RTFM but is overwhelmed by the
  table of contents.
* Dennis W. does a googles search and posts the answer to
  to the problem 2 minutes after reading the email.
* poster sends resume to Starbucks
* resume returned - DBA's are under-qualified.

That's the general flow, anyway.

Jared