Re: upgrade - How did it go for you?

  • From: Martin Klier <usn@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: moabrivers@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2008 23:40:04 +0200

Brian schrieb:
> upgrade have experienced.  Ours is a 2-node Linux
> X86_64 cluster that utilizes ASM.
> We have already upgraded single node test instances without any issues
> to <> and I haven't seen any problems but I'm
> interested in the RAC rollout or other issues we've yet to see.

we patched two SLES10 x86_64 2-node-RACs from to so
far, and both had aches with CRS (not mentioning multipath issues like
hitting all 10gR2 CRS on SLES10):
runInstaller at CRS patch complained about trying to update Oracle RAC
to before CRS was updated. Same at patching the DB binaries -
runInstaller complained about an inconsisitent Version: CRS is
too old for a Database.
No harm was done my ignoring this, but sometimes I ask myself .... you

ASM instances did not need patching, referencing to dbua.

First I tried to use DBUA for the DB instances, but it cancelled the
instances without being able to restart them, did set
cluster_database=false (what is mandatory to patch an instance), but did
not re-enable this after failing and so on. But patching the instances
with the SQL script worked without errors and quite well as far as I
have seen until today.

Martin Klier
Usn's IT Blog for Linux, Oracle, Asterisk