Re: 10.2.0.2 EE RAC, RHEL4 and LVM2 support?

On 7/23/06, Steve Perry <sperry@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

there's another one I hear alot and that's "all databases are the same - they're a commodity". That comes from managers with networking backgrounds (now dba managers) who swear up and down we have to buy Cisco. I asked why that same philosophy doesn't apply to networking. the answer is "networking is totally different than databases"...

of course networks are different from databases. networks, after all are
bits of pipe where you put stuff and some hardware with lights that are
Green if there is nothing abnormal and Red if there is. Databases by
contrast are big buckets where you put stuff. They do not have Red and Green
lights until recent versions. Thus prior to 2001 databases were buckets of
stuff and networks were pipes full of stuff with lights. Post 2001 our
buckets have lights. :)

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA