Re: 10.2 locations for Admin and Oradata directories

  • From: "Terry Sutton" <terrysutton@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 6 Oct 2005 11:11:45 -0700

MessageRich,

Actually, your preference is the OFA standard (pre-10g).  Datafiles are not
under ORACLE_BASE.  I personally think it's blasphemous to change this.  I
presumed that Mladen was being sarcastic (what are the odds), and continued in
that stream.

Years ago, the OFA paper was the first time I had ever heard of Cary Millsap,
and I remember thinking "Look, someone's thought through all the implications
of their recommendations.  How rare!"  I'm not sure if the implications of the
10g recommendations have been as thoroughly thought through.

--Terry
  Tongue-in-cheek detected.

  But with all reverence and respect for Mr. Millsap (and Mr. Holt, I have two
copies of The Book), I still don't care for OFA's placement of data in the same
directory tree as the Oracle software.  I don't like the risk to removing live
datafiles while maintaining the software inventory.  We typically have separate
mount points for the Oracle DB files.

  AFAICR, I'm the only one on this list that has voiced this blasphemous
opinion, so it's very possible that I'm off base here.  Thoughts, anyone?

  Rich

  Disclaimer:  I'm an idiot.  The difference between me and other idiots is
that I know I'm an idiot.