Re: 10.2 locations for Admin and Oradata directories

Well, I'll sign-up as a semi-idiot ...

I loved the OFA paper - it was one of the earliest items I came across
that stressed consistency in file systems for the database.  I prefer
to see every system in a shop set up in a similar fashion, and I'll
put quite a bit of effort into moving stuff around to achieve it.  If
there's a good reason for a specific convention, fine, just please
follow it consistently and document it somewhere.

That being said, if I get to choose the convention, datafiles and log
files are not stored on the same mount point as the executables.  Why
risk an overgrown file (log or data) filling up a mount point and
impacting the system?  I also like to keep datafiles related to a
specific instance on their own series of mount points.  If there is
ever a need to move an instance to a different server or remove it
entirely, I can return the entire mount point back to the sys admins
and they can easily reuse the space.  Keeps them happy which make it
easier to get something out of 'em next time around.   (obviously not
using ASM)

hth ... Robyn

--
Robyn Anderson Sands