Re: [Q] Online rebuild index danger or NOT???

  • From: kathy duret <katpopins21@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ora-apps-dba@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2007 13:52:56 -0700 (PDT)

You might want to just try a few small index rebuilds to see what happens.

  I have one database I can only do online rebuilds when the system has very
little transactions because things do lock up.  If the application does select
for update or locks the rows while it is building virtual tables ... this is
when I see issues with index online rebuilds.

  So much fun... so little time.

  Kathy

jonathan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2007 12:55:22 -0700 (PDT)
> From: dba1 mcc
> Subject: [Q] Online rebuild index danger or NOT???
>
> We have ORACLE 10gr2 on Redhat server. Our
> application vendor told me don't "online rebuild
> index". They suggest kick out all users then rebuild
>
> I have been online rebuild index on several databases
> since ORACLE 8.1.7 and NO problem.
>
> I don't know why application vendor suggest don't
> "online rebuild index". I like listen your
> experience.
>
> Thanks.

Oneline / Offline - doesn't matter; accidents can happen
intermittently to random processes.

http://jonathanlewis.wordpress.com/2007/09/16/index-rebuild/

Regards
Jonathan Lewis