[optimal] Re: thinking cap

  • From: "Timby & Timby" <timby@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <optimal@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2011 17:12:55 -0500

I am sorry, I missed the first of thread.

Honorary Life Member is not a 'convertible' membership option for the
general membership.

HLM is an award, voted upon by the OPS general membership after the
nomination of an individual to the BOD.  This award is to recognize
contributions, generally by non members, to the Society.  Of the current 32
HLMs, 9 were ophthalmic photographers.

HLM carries all membership rights EXCEPT for no motion/voting privilege and
no dues.

I might add, that when I retired actively from the clinics I chose not to
recertify. Since I have always felt and stated that the CRA was a working
certification; daily use of skills, current continuing education and the
curiosity of new techniques and equipment usage were the hallmarks of the
CRA expertise. The BOC has wrestled with the CRA status  of retired persons
and always come up with "you're active or you're not."  Some retires CRAs
have probably complied with recertification to keep a CRA, but this seems to
be a lot of time and expense to hold onto a title, if you are truly retired,
you can't really use. For me, I was a CRA, a good one and proud of it, but I
do not need the title now.

Ken Timby

Chair, Honorary Life Membership Committee