[optimal] Re: Vegetable Dye

  • From: "Egnatz, Thomas James" <tegnatz@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: optimal@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 9 Aug 2010 10:21:13 -0400

Sarah:

There is a famous ophthalmology text that mistakenly identified
fluorescein as a vegetable dye..  Going on memory, I think it was "Duane's
Ophthalmology", C.V Mosby, 1964.  I believe it was corrected in the
next and subsequent editions.

However, the myth lives on.

Tom

stupid MDs

On Fri, Jul 9, 2010 at 9:06 AM, Sarah Moyer <smoyer@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

July is here and so are the new residents!  During a lecture/discussion
about fluorescein sodium yesterday, we discussed how fluorescein sodium is a
synthetic dye and NOT a vegetable dye.  One of them had already read/heard
it was a vegetable dye.  He asked if there were ever ingredients in the dye
that were vegetable based and if that is why this rumor exists.  Does
anybody know why some people refer to it as a vegetable dye?

Thanks!

Sarah Moyer

University of North Carolina