[optimal] Re: Cleanup our act!

  • From: Ethan Priel <prieleye@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: optimal@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2011 20:01:56 +0200

Like is said- go go barcode scanner !

From: optimal-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:optimal-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On
Behalf Of CPMC Ophthalmic Diagnostic Center
Sent: 14 November, 2011 19:35
To: optimal@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [optimal] Cleanup our act!

Yes, in consulting with various practices I have learned that the “name thang”
can be very problematic. One practice spent over a year cleaning up the dozens
of variations on a name in their Stratus database.

I too have been the recipient of “poor database entry” as I inherited an OIS
database many many years ago that had about a zillion variations on diagnosis :
  CME, r/o CME, possible CME, might be CME, CME like.  Unless I wanted to go
back and re-edit invidual files forever more I had a dozen different “like”
diagnosis.  I’m still living with that today.

Let us remember this when acquiring new instrumentation.  The few mistakes we
make on the front end can haunt us forever.  A standard nomenclature for names,
diagnosis and for Ultrasound, angles of view or positioning ( 3:00, 9:00, etc)
can eliviate a mountain of headache down the line.

Don’t get me started about hyphenated names!

Don’t get me started on cultural differences, i.e. Chinese Two first names, Two
last names.  Don’t get THOSE in the proper order and you are doomed to the
water torture forever.

It becomes problematic if you are working in a situation where there isn’t a
common identifier number OTHER than the SS as more and more people are loathe
to hand that out.   I have 5 different client bases with different identifier
systems and it is maddening…

D.

Denice Barsness, CRA, COMT, ROUB, CDOS, FOPS

Ophthalmic Diagnostic Center

CPMC Department of Ophthalmology

2100 Webster Street Suite 212

San Francisco CA 94115

(415) 600-3937   FAX (415) 600-6563

From: m.elrod@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Sun, Nov 13, 2011 11:43 am
Subject: [optimal] Re: OIS
To: <optimal@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: <optimal@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <optimal-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Many of the reasons you continue to have problems with merging data is
because most device manufactures do not follow a standard for how to
capture and transmit data. The best method for doing this is DICOM. It is
a standard that has been around for over 30 years in a radiology.  By
using DICOM you can have your Data Management system create a worklist.
Think of this like a virtual waiting room.

1. The patient is checked in at the front desk and their information
enters the waiting room.
2. The patient is called back into the exam lane.
3. The doctor orders a test for the patient.
4. The technician takes the patient to the acquisition device and queries
the worklist.
5. The patients name is show on the worklist and the technician selects it
.
6. This populates the patient demographic data into the machine without
having to type in any information.
7. The technician acquires data and transmits it to the data management
system.
8. The data management system displays the information in the exam lane.
9. The data management system sends a message to the EMR if there
notifying the EMR that the order is complete.

http://www.dcm4che.org/confluence/display/d2/A+Very+Basic+DICOM+Introduction

This allows the patient information to be correct and consistent
throughout the process. Not all data management systems are equally
capable of handling the above process. I do know which ones are capable of
doing this  and which ones are not. Please contact me off list if you
would like more information about this information.

Carl Zeiss Meditec Inc.
Enterprise Account Manager Data Management\FORUM
5160 Hacienda Drive
Dublin, CA  94568

Michael Elrod

Desk Phone: +1 925.557.4856
Cell Phone: +1 925.858.1762
Fax: +1 925.557.4652
mailto:m.elrod@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
http://www.meditec.zeiss.com

Ethan Priel <prieleye@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: optimal-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
11/12/2011 05:42 AM
Please respond to
optimal@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

optimal@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
cc

Subject
[optimal] Re: OIS

In order to obviate the omnipresent typos, mis-heard names, creative
nick-names and Last-to-First name confusions, we did the following :

We installed a barcode self-adhesive label printer at the reception desk
so each chart has a barcode sticker with patient name on it.

This sticker-with-barcode is what techs use to call and address patients,
and each patient is asked his / her name when they enter the room ?

we don?t say 'are you Mr. Rufus T. Firefly' but rather 'come in ? what is
your name, Please ?' ? and this way we make sure the 'correct' patient is
in the room.

Once the Capture option in the Symphony program is activated, we scan  the
barcode on the patient's chart , which in turn brings up the patient's
record from within Symphony ? where it has been entered at the time the
patient was checked in etc.

Works a treat, no mistakes.

Feel free to call or write for details,

Ethan

From: debbiew@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
To: optimal@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2011 15:33:27 -0500
We installed Symphony Web in April and are still experiencing issues,
partly with the merging of our Willow system and partly other issues.  You
can contact me directly off list if you have specific questions about our
OIS install.

Debbie Watson, BS, COA, CRA, OCT-C
Director of Clinical Services
Southern Vitreoretinal Associates, P.L.