[optacon-l] Re: scanning and reading appliance

  • From: Judy Adams <judy@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: optacon-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2012 12:51:17 -0700

Dear Eileen,

We have our own scanning software (as well as e-mail and web browser software)
that's used with a PC.  It provides voice (and enlargement for low vision PC
users). It can be used on WinXP or Win7 PCs.  If you have a PC, I could send
you the 30-day demo CD and talk you through the install and basic use. The
scanning software is used with a standard (Twain) scanner, such as a Canon, HP,
Epson and in about 10 seconds converts the printed text to speech and begins
speaking.  You can control the speech speed, select any voice available on your
computer (or purchase the excellent Neospeech voices from us), and even listen
word-by-word or letter-by-letter.  Most of the commands use the computer's
number keypad. In addition to scanning and reading, we have over 600
pre-scanned texts that you can use in VIP (the scanning program), and save
electronic bookmarks in the books to return to different sections.  VIP also
includes a database for contact information, a nice little word proces
 sor, a calculator, and when you purchase our complete software package (for
$500) our e-mail and internet programs - all that have voice.  Our products are
not general PC screen readers like Jaws or WindowEyes, but do speak within the
programs themselves.

Let me know if you'd like to try the free 30-day software and I can send it to
you and help you install and try it out.  If you want to use our e-mail
program, you need to know some technical information about your e-mail (which I
could help you with), such as the pop host and pop server. While the scanning
program uses the number keypad for commands, the e-mail and internet programs
allow you to arrow through menus and select the desired function by pressing
the Enter key.

Best regards,

Judy