[optacon-l] Re: Request for some advice

  • From: Gailselfridge@xxxxxxx
  • To: optacon-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 29 Nov 2009 23:24:01 EST

I agree with Mary. The optacon is a very delicate instrument and will not
hold up if you give it rough treatment. I would like to add that the pins on
all  the optacons I have used are uniform in how they feel from column to
column.

Gail

Richard,
I have never held my finger too firmly to interfere with the  optacon's
vibration, and I would never advise anyone to do so. The optacon is  an
extremely delicate piece of equipment, meant to assist blind people  in
reading print; it is meant for gentle use, with a gentle touch on the  very
delicate array, which is the plate with the 144 vibrating reeds. Please  be
extremely careful when using this device; it isn't meant for the sort  of
treatment you are giving it. If the array is abused as you have  indicated,
it will die, and it most likely cannot be replaced.
Mary
to  view the list archives, go to:
_www.freelists.org/archives/optacon-l_
(//www.freelists.org/archives/optacon-l)
To  unsubscribe at any time, just send a message to:
_optacon-l-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx (mailto:optacon-l-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx)
 with the word "unsubscribe" (without the quotes)
in the message  subject.
Tell your friends about the list.  They can subscribe by  sending a message
to:
_optacon-l-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx (mailto:optacon-l-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx)
 with the word "subscribe" (without the quotes) in
the message  subject.