[optacon-l] Re: Request for some advice

  • From: Jim Bliss <jamescbliss@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: optacon-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 30 Nov 2009 08:14:42 -0800

Richard,
A simple test to see if the Optacon is operating properly is to draw a thin
straight line with a ruler with a black ball point pen (or find such a
printed line).  Set the array intensity to the maximum.  Then position the
camera and adjust the threshold so only one column is fully activated.  The
column should feel equally strong from top to bottom with no gaps.  Move the
camera so that each column is similarly activated alone and check for
uniformity and no gaps.  Turn the camera 90 degrees and similarly checlk
each row.

As a researcher, you might be interested in the following references:

1.      C.H. Rogers, "Choice of Stimulator Frequency for Tactile Arrays",
IEEE Transactions on Man-Machine Systems, Vol. MMS-11, No. 1, pp. 5-11,
March 1970

2.  J.C. Bliss, "A Relatively High-Resolution Reading Aid for the Blind",
IEEE Transactions on Man-Machine Systems, Vol. MMS-10, No. 1, March 1969,
pp. 1-9.

Jim Bliss