[optacon-l] Re: Request for some advice

  • From: <maryemerson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <optacon-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 29 Nov 2009 20:04:00 -0800

Richard,

I have never held my finger too firmly to interfere with the optacon's
vibration, and I would never advise anyone to do so. The optacon is an
extremely delicate piece of equipment, meant to assist blind people in
reading print; it is meant for gentle use, with a gentle touch on the very
delicate array, which is the plate with the 144 vibrating reeds. Please be
extremely careful when using this device; it isn't meant for the sort of
treatment you are giving it. If the array is abused as you have indicated,
it will die, and it most likely cannot be replaced.

Mary