[opendtv] Re: "we'll forever be stuck with by going ATSC"

  • From: Tom Barry <trbarry@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2005 22:10:17 -0500

Craig Birkmaier wrote:
 > Brace yourself Bert. You are not going to see much improvement in the
 > unconverted SDTV programs from most broadcasters, because most of
 > these programs have been subjected to NTSC compression. And if the
 > station is carrying an HD program and an SDTV feed, both will be over
 > compressed.

Apart maybe from reception issues my biggest disappointment when first
getting (H)DTV was the quality of the auto upconversion used for non-HD
shows.  I had reasoned the broadcasters could afford much better scaling
and/or deinterlacing equipment than I probably had and that they would
try to make it look as good as it could, with an all digital path.

But with the actual results I've seen I would much rather they just sent
the non-HD shows as a decently high bit rate digital 480i and let me
deal with it.  Most of the upconversion efforts are a waste.

- Tom