[opendtv] Re: "we'll forever be stuck with by going ATSC"

  • From: Tom Barry <trbarry@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2005 20:42:15 -0500

Craig Birkmaier wrote:
 > There is tremendous appeal in LCD panels as a replacement for the
 > bulky CRT displays that still DOMINATE the market for television
 > displays. There may even be some added cache' for these products
 > since they offer HD screen resolutions . Unfortunately they do not
 > cause the HD Buzz, which requires a BIG SCREEN.

Darn it Craig, that is just silly.

You keep going on about 1970's studies that claimed that, compared to
the expectations of the day, 22 cycles per degree of resolution seemed
"very sharp".  And yet your same article said people might be able to
see up to 40.

"Very sharp" is not the best there is.  The best occurs when there are
no visible artifacts (including obvious image softness) even when you
sit close enough the screen subtends at least 30 degrees of your visual
field.

You also quote studies where people would try to move back to their
habitual (in screen heights or furniture feet) viewing distance up until
the point where they were presented with theater sized screens.  Please
try the same experiment again with people already accustomed to viewing
HDTV displays and tell me how it works out.

You already have posted that the viewing distance you would use
personally for picture quality is closer than your wife would allow
based upon furniture dynamics & traffic patterns.  It seems likely you
will adjust but, if not, then next time you will probably buy a larger
TV.  But still not 100 inches.

Very few have 100 inch TV's and yet many of use DO occasionally see the
   WOW factor and reap the benefits of HD.  On sets no larger than yours.

- Tom