[opendtv] Re: [oldvtrs] So Much for HDTV]

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2008 17:00:02 -0400

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> John Shutt wrote:
>>
>> Algolith makes Broadcast gear, not consumer decoders, and I cannot
>> find any documentation that their "BAR" Block Artifact Reducer
>> technology is used in any consumer gear. Their noise reduction
>> cards that include BAR operate in the SD-SDI and HD-SDI domains,
>> post MPEG decoding.

Their algorithms can be used by any CE company that cares to, however.
They are not meant to work just at the transmit end. But Tom says that
other software decoders do this anyway, so that point becomes moot.

> I never see blocking artifacts in h.264 video from Apple, and the
> bit rates are typically much lower than what is available for OTA.
> But most of this stuff is 24P and low motion.

And H.264 incorporates a deblocking filter from the git-go.

But, you know, I've been doing some close inspection of the HD video
from these Olympics, and there are times when, even with relatively fast
motion, macroblocking is simply not severe. And other times when it is
severe.

Last night, I stood up close during a running portion of the decathelon.
Even the runners' legs were not macroblocking. I was amazed.

Before this, I inspected close up the high platform diving.
Macroblocking was a real issue only during the twisting and
summersaulting part of the dive, high up. When the diver was initially
running down the platform, and after straightening out to get ready to
hit the water, the macroblocking was either much less noticeable or not
there.

The flying rings or the flying gold medal that they show during an
instant replay are really stressed. They go by quickly, but they are
badly broken up as they go across.

I view these as growing pains, though. No way would I prefer to see
these Olympics in analog NTSC. I suppose different people are sensitive
to different image degradations. I've never been satisfied with analog
TV, even as a grade school kid.