[opendtv] (no subject)

Monty Solomon posted:

http://www.boston.com/business/technology/appsampler/2012/06/flat_tv_antenna_steals_the_sho.html

Up on top, it says:

"No wonder more and more Americans are sticking with free over-the-air TV
broadcasts."

Which is why I'd hate to see US OTA TV be dismantled, either by edict from the
FCC or by good intentions with bad side effects.

Related to this, I think it's great when portable DTVs support both ATSC 1.0
and ATSC MH. And even better would be if ATSC 1.0 receivers, at least for these
portable devices, would be enhanced. There are three techniques that should
work wonders, in tandem:

1. Use the Patel/Limber/McDonald equalizer concept, where the flatness of the
station's spectrum is used for very fast equalizer feedback,

2. Use the additional training sequences incorporated as part of the MH
protocol, in the ATSC 1.0 receiver too. So that if the station is transmitting
ATSC MH, reception of the main streams is also enhanced, and

3. For mobile reception, use a diversity antenna.