[opendtv] Re: news: Migrating to advanced video coding; What's the plan?

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 6 Nov 2005 17:49:39 -0500

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> These "supposed" constraints were well known going
> in. We put together an interoperability review for
> the Advisory Committee in 1993. We laid out the
> factors that would enable interoperability,
> extensibility and scalability BEFORE the GRAND
> ALLIANCE was created.
>
> One of the most important points in those reports
> was the fact that you SHOULD NOT lock down important
> aspects of a digital standard, as was necessary for
> an analog standard.

Well, that's amazing, then. Because as recently as
2001 you still hadn't appreciated that there's nothing
"locked down" in ATSC, or any other digital scheme
based on protocol layers, that can't be "unlocked" with
the mere stroke of a pen.

AVC is just one example. It turns out, DBS *must* have
AVC to compete against cable. Cable can offer HD for
every channel, as well as local into local, without
AVC, so obviously they will choose this route
initially. Ditto with DTT. You go as far as you can
with the existing standard, then you bite the bullet
and update.

> What is needed is a plan - up front - to deal with
> interoperability and extensibility.

And in 1999, with the simple introduction of A/90, the
obvious was accomplished. The path was clear, and it
should have been clear to everyone involved even in
1991. there's nothing unique about any of this. It's
simply a matter of perspective, or lack of.